Friday, June 05, 2009

One Small Step


For some time, I have been thinking a lot over the ecological footprint of my existence on the world. I have never attempted (actually dared to attempt) to calculate it. How much carbon am I producing during my life? Today, tomorrow? Everything we do has some impact on our environment.
The attitude I exhibited until now was expecting officials to act; waiting the government recycle everything, sort the trash, the sorted trash, set up some solar powered stations, power mills...Wrong. It is late. I soon realized that, without small steps, human can wait eternally. 
One small step is important I think. And can do something. Those small steps will make thousands of small steps. 
Probably after reading too many blogs about ecology and organic lifestyles, I am now aware that, I am not alone. There are millions of small steps away and close and governments will not change until people individually realise the cruciality of the matter. 

But what are those practical steps for a family of two? Of course, sorting the trash, taking the bottles to the nearest bottle bin, not using the car, preferring public transportation, limiting the water usage, living organic, gardening in your house, in the balcony.. and countless more. Taking your own non-plastic bag to the market is one important act. Nevertheless, I cannot help being desperate about the matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment